SLEEP DISORDER – TYPES – CAUSES – TREATMENTS :
Everybody in his lifetime faces with trouble in sleeping . This is a normal phenomena , but if the sleep problems are prolonged or in regular occurrence then it is said to that the person may be suffering from a sleep disorder .
Sleep disorders can be manifested as an inability to sleep , daytime sleepiness , abnormal movements or behaviour during sleep or an inability to sleep at the appropriate time .
Sleeping well is essential for your physical , mental and emotional well being .
Ignoring sleep problems can lead to the impairment of health , can have a negative impact on your energy , emotional balance , efficiency , mood and ability to handle stress .
If you want to feel your best , stay healthy and perform up to your potential then proper sleep is very essential .
Sleep generally relaxes the body and the mind , removes stress and gives proper rest to the body . In this way it re-enerzises the whole body .
SOME COMMON TYPES OF SLEEP DISORDER :
- Insomania : It is the most common sleep disorder in which the person suffers from lack of sleep . It is often a symptom of another disease such as stress , anxiety , depression , etc .
- Sleep apnea : It is a common sleep disorder in which the person suffers from breathing difficulty . Breathing temporarily stops during sleep due to blockage of the upper respiratory tract .
- Restlessness leg syndrome (R.L.S) : It is a sleep disorder that causes an almost irresistible urge to move your legs or arms in the sleep .
- Narcolepsy : It is excessive or uncontrollable daytime sleepiness . Here , the person sleeps in the middle of talking , working or even driving .
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SLEEP DISORDER :
- Sleepy during the day
- Very tired feeling always
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Loud chronic snoring
- Frequent shortness of breath during sleep , chest pains , headaches , nasal congestion or a dry throat
- Strong urge to move legs and arms in the sleep
- Cramping and jerking of the legs during sleep
- Sleep attacks while in the middle of conversation , working or driving .
CAUSES OF SLEEP DISORDERS :
- Medical causes affecting sleep : Asthma , Heart disease , Peptic ulcer , chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and Rheumatic disorders .
- Neurological disorders : Stroke , headache , neuro muscular disorders .
- Psychiatric disorders : Stress , Depression , Anxiety and panic .
- Any sort of chronic pains may also impair sleep.
- Intake of excessive coffee , tea and chocolate can also prevent sleep .
- Cigarette smoking and intake of alcohol too late in evening .
- Some stimulant drugs like antidepressants may also affect the sleep .
- Other causes : Noise , uncomfortable bed , ventilation can negatively affect the sleep .
- Keep the regular sleep schedule .
- Bedroom should be cool , quiet and dark .
- Avoid smoking too late in the evening .
- Intake of Alcohol , tea , coffee or any other stimulants should be minimized .
- Eating dinner late at night will stop you from sleeping .
- Take warm bath just before bedtime .
- Listen to relaxing music while going to bed for sleep .
- Pain can make it difficult to sleep . So, medicines for pain relief should be taken .
- Losing some weight especially around neck area helps in person suffering from Sleep Apnea .
- Yoga and some relaxing exercises helps the body to relax .
- Meditation : Helps the person’s mind to relax and give internal peace .